Houston Rat Removal Company
Rat Removal Houston: Importance Of Rat Removal and Rat Control Service
Looking for Houston rat removal and rat control services? Of all the pests you may find invading your home, rats are undoubtedly among the worst. These destructive rats can do a great deal of damage, breed rapidly, and be in control of your Houston home before you have a chance to take action.
Roof rats are a type of rats identified by their long tails, large eyes and ears, and pointed noses. They have small, bodies covered in short fur and hairless, scaly tails which are longer than their heads and bodies.
A single roof rat can produce three or more litters a year, with five to eight babies per litter. The young rats are born after a 21-23 day gestation, and develop rapidly, growing hair within a week, opening their eyes between 9-14 days. At this point, they begin to explore the area near the nest. They continue to nurse until they are 4-5 weeks old, and are entirely independent at three months old. The critical issue here is that young rats cannot be trapped until they reach a month old, leaving plenty of room for potential disruption.
Rats tend to be color-blind, able only to sense the degree of light which is around them. While you might think this makes rats easier to capture, they have a keen sense of smell, taste, touch, and hearing.
Their smell helps them to identify travel routes, and locate food items; keeping all possible temptations out of reach is a good way to prevent rats from being attracted into your home. Once rats have discovered a food source they like, the rats tend to return time and again.
Touch is also important; rats can use their whiskers and guard hairs as tactile sensors, allowing them to travel in the dark. This means areas such as attics are perfect places for rats to nest and breed.
Risks of Them In The Attic
Once you have a Houston roof rat infestation within your home, the damage can be significant. As well as the annoyance of scratching and squeaking, there are more serious possibilities.
- They will chew through electrical wires, and is more than a mere inconvenience: this has the potential to be a huge fire hazard and safety risk.
- Furniture and soft furnishing can be severely damaged. Household objects are often stored in attic spaces, and these can be attractive to rats who are looking to gnaw whatever they can reach.
- Perhaps more seriously, rats have been known to rip up the insulation in homes, leaving it exposed to the elements, and reducing heating properties.
- Rats will also leave droppings in the space they occupy. These can pose a serious health risk and may spread disease throughout your family. If rats are running on work surfaces, there is also an increased risk of food poisoning.
Signs You Have An Infestation
There are many warning signs if you suspect that rats have moved into your attic. These can include:
- Droppings: rat droppings are 12-13 mm long with pointed ends, and are a clear indication that you have unwanted guests.
- Visual sightings: The easiest way to tell if you have rats is to see one. A sighting of a roof rat, either dead or alive, indicates that other rats fill their nest or hiding space, or that they have been disturbed. This is time to start looking for a nest.
- Grease marks: This is a little-known sighting. As the rats travel around the house, the oils in their fur brush along the edges, leaving a tell-tale trail.
What Can Be Done To Get Rid Of Rats?
If you find yourself with a rat infestation in your attic or home, the best solution is to professionally trap and remove the rats.
Once you have identified a rat infestation in your home, it is important to take action as soon as possible. Spring traps are the best solution – while alternatives such as poison or other repellents are often heralded as miracle cures, they have their own sets of issues which may do more harm than good.
The best solution is of course prevention. By reducing food waste, blocking access routes and trimming trees, you can reduce the likelihood of an infestation from occurring in the first place. Make your house rat unfriendly, and save yourself a headache down the line, but if they got in, call us today for Houston rat removal services.
rat control in houston
rat control houston
rats or mice
dead animal removal
removal company houston
Houston rat removal houston
Houston rat removal
rat and mice
omega animal removal
control houston tx
control in houston
pest control companies